Contests & Prizes
Can you sing or whistle like a bird? Are you full of bird identification knowledge? Win fame and prizes in the all-ages bird-nerd competitions!
1. Participants will be classified into three age groups with a 1st place award for each winner falling in the age group categories: 5-9, 10-18, 19-100.
2. Sign in by 10 a.m. to test your skills at imitating the call or song of any Wester, North American WILD bird (no roosters or peacocks please).
3. Contestants may imitate up to two birds.
4. Call/song will be judged on tone, cadence, pitch, volume, and overall accuracy. Extra points for displaying accurate bird behavior while vocalizing.
5. No devices such as whistles, iPods or any mechanical enhancements.
6. Winners earn a fabulous bird-related prize!
Name that Bird Contest
1. There will be three rounds of Name that Bird identification, five birds per round, with each round progressively more difficult. Clues will be given to all participants prior to bird call or song being imitated. Birds imitated will be resident and migratory birds seen at North Mountain Park and/or in Jackson County.
2. Each participant will be given a Bird ID Score Card to write-in the names of the five birds they ID by call or song. Full name of bird must be written for answer to be counted (i.e. not Sparrow but Song Sparrow, or not Owl but Great-horned Owl, and so on). If participant guesses the correct five birds in Round no. 1, contestant will automatically be eligible to guess next five birds in Round no. 2. Winners of Round no. 2 will be eligible to participate in the final round. A prize will be awarded for winning contestants in each round.
3. The winner for Round no. 3 (final round) will be awarded the Grand Prize. In case of a tie, contestants will be asked to imitate a bird of their choice. Winning call or song, to be judged by North Mountain Park volunteers and staff, will be awarded the Grand Prize.
Photographs courtesy Graham Lewis